Brantford City Hall is encouraging residents to keep walking and driving to a minimum, if not at all, due to the snow and freezing rain.
Spokesperson Maria Visocchi says this will allow staff and contracted services time to respond to the conditions.
She says work crews are in full winter control salting and plowing on all routes and sidewalks.
Visocchi says the city also asks residents to park their vehicles off the street whenever possible during the event to allow combination trucks to service roadways more effectively.
And residents are urged to avoid parks and trails.
City Hall is open but several recreational programs are cancelled.
City buses are running but passengers can expect delays and Brantford Lift has suspended service today and this evening.
Emergency shelter is available at the Salvation Army, Rosewood House, Nova Vita and Youth Resource Centre.
· Beckett Adult Leisure Centre – Closed. All programs cancelled.
· Brantford Civic Centre – Adult Shinny at noon cancelled.
· TB Costain – activities cancelled – Daycare Closed
· Branlyn Community Centre – activities cancelled
· Doug Snooks Eagle Place – activities cancelled
· Woodman Community Centre – activities cancelled
· Shellard’s Neighbourhood – All programs cancelled today.
While the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre facility is open, the following programs and activities are impacted today as follows:
• Swim lessons until 4:00 p.m.
• Kid Care cancelled (9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.)
• 9:00 a.m. Strollerfit (registered program) cancelled
• 10:15 a.m. Yoga cancelled
• 10:30 a.m. Aquafit cancelled
• 1:00 p.m. Safe Zone cancelled
• 1:15 p.m. Aqua Yoga cancelled
Emergency shelter is available to any individual who needs it through the City of Brantford’s homelessness programs. Those requiring shelter, or members of the public encountering individuals who need emergency shelter, should contact the Social Services Support Centre by phone at 519-759-7009 or in person at 220 Colborne Street, Brantford. The Support Centre is the best option for assistance, offering access to a range of shelter solutions. Citizens can also reach out to shelters directly to inquire about availability. For support or assistance after hours, contact the Salvation Army at 519-753-4193.
Emergency Shelters and Contact Information
• Salvation Army (single men aged 18+), 519-753-4193
• Rosewood House (single men and women, aged 18+), 519-750-1547
• Nova Vita (homeless women/children), 519-752-4357
• Youth Resource Centre (Male and female youth aged 15-19), 519-758-9644