Friday is Random Act of Kindness day and that is an opportunity to help make your community and your own personal world a little bit nicer by doing something or many things for others without asking for anything in return.
If you can’t think of anything you might be able to do there is a handy little list:
- Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
- Make a card at home and send it to a friend for no reason.
- Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
- Put some coins in someone else’s parking meter.
- Buy a coffee for the man on the high street selling magazines.
- Cut your neighbour’s hedge/mow their lawn.
- Walk your friend’s dog.
- Give a compliment about your waiter / waitress to his / her manager.
- Send someone a small gift anonymously.
- Stop and help someone replace their flat tire.
- Let someone jump the queue at the bank.
- Pay for the drinks on the next table at a café.
- Treat a friend to the movies for no reason.
- Give a huge tip to someone when they least expect it.
- Hold the train door open for someone rushing to get in.
- Give up your seat for someone, not just an elderly person.
- Write notes of appreciation.
- Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.
- Pick up some rubbish in the road which would otherwise be lying around.
- Compliment a work colleague for their excellence.
- Recommend a competitor to a potential client.
- Give another driver your parking spot.
- Give a piece of fruit to a delivery person.
- Help an elderly neighbour carry the garbage out.
- Tell all your family members how much your appreciate them.
- Leave a copy of an interesting book on a train / bus.
- Buy an inspirational book for a friend.
- Send a thank you note to a person who has helped you in the past.
- Smile and say hi to strangers.
- Put things back where they belong in the store.
These are just a few things you could do and there are so many more. Pick one or a few of the above or think up your own on Friday and make it the nicest day you can!
Photo & story courtesy BRIAN THOMPSON/The Expositor