The reconstruction of the Gilkison Flats Trail, located in Brantford, will take place in July & August.
What will be done during the reconstruction?
- Shared use trail through Gilkison Flats beyond Veterans Memorial Parkway Bridge will be extended stretching south 2 KM
- The alignment will follow the existing trail with a few minor changes, including an addition of a 100 m granular access launch /landing spot for canoes.
- Realigning a short 70 m section of the trail away from the immediate top of the bank to help prevent future damage and trail reconstruction due to potential future flooding
- Remove and restore a 190m section of trail south of the VMP bridge to a natural condition.
Trail works generally include:
- Build-up and compaction of the soil base material of the existing trail to achieve positive drainage and to minimize longitudinal slopes for improved accessibility
- Addition of asphalt surface
- Smoothing path edges and restoration
- New access gates and trail amenities including new signage and seating/benches
The reconstruction of Gilkison Flats is expected to be completed by no later than August 31, 2020.